This project is read-only.

attempting to start with CUDA

May 5, 2015 at 3:59 PM
Edited May 5, 2015 at 4:52 PM
hello, I am very new to CUDA.
I have a lot of experience with c# but none with c/c++, that's why I decided to start with managedCUDA.
I have a laptop with win7 32bit, WITHOUT NVidia. I am trying to install just the NVidia Toolkit without the drivers. At the moment, I just want to be able to build a project. To run it I would like to use some kind of emulator, like Waste.
I was not able to install Cuda 7, so I installed 5.5 (and I am not able to upgrade). I also installed managedCUDA.
I tried to create a c# project using the demo code shown on managedCUDA's home page. the reference to managedCUDA dll works fine but I do not know how to reference the NPP library.
In C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v5.5\bin I found these 3 files: nppc32_55.dll, nppi32_55.dll and npps32_55.dll but I am not able to add a referance to any of them.

I would be very grateful for any help!
regards,
Jakub
May 5, 2015 at 6:24 PM
First of all, when using the 5.5 toolkit, you also need to download managedCuda for version 5.5. Then in the download you'll find several dll-files, one for each library (managedCuda core, NPP, CUFFT, etc.). These are the .net-dlls you need to reference in your project, not the native ones from the toolkit.

Cheers,
Michael
May 6, 2015 at 9:28 AM
Hi Michael,
great, it works!
I am just wondering if there is a way to upgrade Cuda from 5.5 to 7.0 (installer does not work, so i might try to unzip and replace the files manually)..
and if so, and using also managedCuda 7.0, then what about tne npp.dll ? I did not find it in 7.0.
Cheers,
Jakub
May 6, 2015 at 11:03 AM
Check out the x86 or x64 folder, there you'll find it.
Actually you don't need any Cuda toolkit installed if you don't want to run your code. ManagedCuda is all you need on a dev-only computer... Only the computer running your application needs managedCuda and Toolkit of the same version.

Cheers,
Michael
May 6, 2015 at 12:56 PM
thanks, I see... perhaps I did not check all the folders when I was playing with v7..
Have you any experience with managedCUDA together with Waste? I would like to emulate CUDA but I am not able to make it work, i posted the error on Waste's board
https://code.google.com/p/cuda-waste/issues/detail?id=16
Cheers, J.